On this page:
- Key developments
- Key events and accomplishments
- Key Personnel
- Photo gallery
Key developments, events and accomplishments
- 1980/81: First rock groyne installed on the beach.
– Appointment of our first Lady Members.
– Clubhouse extensions approved north end.
– Name change from Palm Beach “Pilchards” to Palm Beach Junior Club.
– Team to World Lifesaving Championships in Bali.
- 1981/82: Very successful year for Competition.
– Light Aircraft crashes into the sea at Palm Beach, rescues carried out.
- 1982/83: Gil Graham granted Life Membership of Branch.
– Due to beach erosion, one man patrol started adjacent to the Currumbin Sands Resort.
– Separate clubhouse provided for nippers.
– Charles Maskiell elected as Patron of the club.
- 1983/84: Success in IRB events led to tour to NZ to compete in their National Championships.
- 1986/87: Our cook/caretaker Thelma Joyce retires after 18 yrs off exceptional service.
– Purchase of Mini Bus. Charles Maskiell donated his third IRB.
- 1988/89: Palm Beach Marketing was formed.
– Fourth IRB was donated by Charles Maskiell
– Andy Frizzell steps down as Nippers President.
- 1989/90: Brambles donated money to purchase a new surfboat. (Owing to our reputation in Surfboat Rowing). Hope Island Resort donated money to purchase another new surfboat.
– The nippers again excelling in competition.
|Season||President||Club Captain||Life Members|
|1980-81||V. Sharland||R. Howes||T. Bone|
|1981-82||V. Sharland||R. Stewart|
|1982-83||B. Howes||I. Sarow|
|1983-84||B. Howes||I. Sarow||R. Howest|
|1984-85||B. Howes||C. Paterson||I. Sarow|
|1985-86||B. Howes||C. Paterson||L. Kenny|
|1986-87||H. Edwards||M. Sherrington|
|1987-88||H. Edwards||S. Pacey|
|1988-89||K. Bagnall||S. Pacey|
|1989-90||C. Paterson||M. Dudley||R. Felton|
With thanks to Robert McPherson for this selection of historic photos. Click on a photo to see it in higher resolution. More photos can be found at https://commons.wikimedia.org/ and by searching for Palm Beach Qld Surf Life Saving Club.