On this page:
- A new Clubhouse for Palm Beach
- Key events and accomplishments
- Key Personnel
- Photo gallery
A new Clubhouse for Palm Beach
In 1952 it was decided that a new clubhouse was needed and when approached the South Coast Town Council stated that they had no money available, and we should do it alone.
Key events and accomplishments
- As the old Coolangatta Town Council promised to hand over two allotments as freehold rather than leasehold, the new South Coast Council agreed to honour the promise and we were handed over the two allotments “Freehold”.
- Finance was approved by the ANZ bank and the members set about digging and pouring the footings and assisting the builder with labour when required.
- The money won by our Bulimba Quiz contestants ($3600) and our Warwick Auxiliary assisted us immensely to help pay the bank overdraft, along with money raised by the many chook raffles, house to house collections, beach concerts, chocolate wheels, etc.
- The clubhouse was officially opened February 1958.
- The club continued to be very competitive in the sporting arena throughout the 50s with many branch titles in all events, both in the water and on the water.
|Season||President||Club Captain||Life Members|
|1950-51||A. Frizzell||H. Aldridge|
|1951-52||A. Frizzell||H. Aldridge|
|1952-53||A. Frizzell||K. Francis||R. Pascoe|
|1953-54||A. Frizzell||G. Stone|
|1954-55||A. Frizzell||G. Stone|
|1955-56||A. Frizzell||G. Graham||J. Spencer|
|1956-57||A. Frizzell||J. Spencer||G. Stone|
|1957-58||A. Frizzell||J. Spencer||M.Webb|
|1958-59||A. Frizzell||D. Kenway (to Dec)|
|1959-60||A. Frizzell||I. Rojahn|
With thanks to Robert McPherson and the late Andy Frizzell for this selection of historic photos. Click on a photo to see it in higher resolution.