On this page:
- Key developments
- Key events and accomplishments
- Key Personnel
- Photo gallery
- Erosion plays a role.
- Sand pumping program started.
- Club purchased additional land, expanding the footprint of Palm Beach Surf Club
- Nippers continued to grow under Andy Frizzell’s leadership. Andy Frizzell Park established.
- First international tour.
Key events and accomplishments
- 1970/71: success competitively was at an all time low owing to lack of members due to a number of reasons.
The Nippers were excelling in competition at all levels.
- 1971/72: Passing away of our Patron of many years.
- 1971/72: Andy Frizzell takes over role of Nippers State President.
Erosion problems resulted in the branch supplying the club with a mobile beach vehicle to patrol from Currumbin Creek to 11th avenue.
- 1972/73: Andy Frizzell became the National Superintendent of Nippers and our Nippers were going from strength to strength.
- 1973/74: Sand pumping program started.
- 1974/75: BINGO started at the Palm Beach Hotel
- 1975/76: Andy Frizzell awarded an OBE.
A grant was received to purchase a land cruiser.
Cadet Peter Ridley wins both Qld & Aust Surf Ski Titles .
- 1976/77: Our first motorised Surf Craft received.
Purchase of property 84 Jefferson Lane for storage purposes.
- 1977/78: “Goodwill” Tour to Bali.
Land South of club refurbished by council and named “Andy Frizzell Park”
Extensions to clubhouse to incorporate the “Smooth Room” and accommodation for cook.
- 1978/79: Club purchased a block of land on north side of clubhouse after the sale of 84 Jefferson Lane property.
Celebration of our 50th Anniversary held.
|Season||President||Club Captain||Life Members|
|1970-71||G. Graham||A. Sweeney||B. Jukes|
|1971-72||G. Graham||T. Bone||R. McPherson|
|1972-73||G. Graham||T. Bone||H. Aldridge|
|1973-74||G. Graham||J. Batchelor||F. Aldridge|
|1974-75||G. Graham||J. Batchelor|
|1975-76||G. Graham||L. Kenny||G. Marshall|
|1976-77||G. Graham||L. Kenny|
|1977-78||G. Graham||L. Kenny|
|1978-79||G. Graham||R. Howes||B. Howes|
|1979-80||G. Graham||R. Howes||K. Bagnall|
With thanks to Robert McPherson for this selection of historic photos. Click on a photo to see it in higher resolution. More photos can be found at https://commons.wikimedia.org/ and by searching for Palm Beach Qld Surf Life Saving Club.