On this page:
- A period of change
- Key events and accomplishments
- Key Personnel
- Photo gallery
A period of change
World War 2 between 1940 and 1944
Key events and accomplishments
- 1.World War II caused minor disruptions with members going off overseas , but it was business as usual on the beach, although no club or state competition was held during this period.
- 1941: Andy Frizzell was elected president of the club, a position he held for 25 years.
- Competition resumed 1944 after the war and the club excelled in competition where they won both Branch and State titles in the March Past.
- 1945-46 season: “Post War” saw a return to full scale operations as members returned from war service.
- 1946-47 saw an increase in home owners in the area which resulted in 20 members leaving and forming Pacific Surf Club.
- 1946: Maurie Webb won the Senior Belt in the State Champs and placed 2nd in the Australian Champs.
- 1947-48 was a very successful season at branch and State Titles.
- Purchased Nissan Hut from Army for storage of gear.
|Season||President||Club Captain||Life Members|
|1940-41||A. Frizzell||M. Walsh||A. Frizzell|
|1941-42||A. Frizzell||M. Walsh||M. Walsh|
|1942-43||A. Frizzell||R. Gilmiester (to Dec)|
|1943-44||A. Frizzell||A. Crank||J. Stewart|
|1944-45||A. Frizzell||I. Elford||J. McPhee|
|1945-46||A. Frizzell||R. Gilmiester|
|1946-47||A. Frizzell||T. Murphy|
|1947-48||A. Frizzell||R. Pascoe|
|1948-49||A. Frizzell||K. Francis||H. Mellor|
|1949-50||A. Frizzell||K. Francis||R. Carr|
With thanks to Robert McPherson and the late Andy Frizzell for these selection of historic photos. Click on a photo to see it in higher resolution.