At Palm Beach Surf Club we take caring for the environment seriously. Our surf life saving members have been protecting people from the ocean for decades and we want to help protect the ocean from the impact of people.
We have implemented many sustainability practices at the Club over the past 2 years and are proud to be the first surf club in Australia certified as ‘Ocean Friendly’ by the Surfrider Foundation.
Below are some of the sustainability practices we have implemented.
* No plastic straws on site
* Provision of reusable cutlery
* Ceramic sauce containers used for condiments (no plastic packaging)
* No drinks sold or provided in plastics containers
* No vending machines (therefore excluding all packaging)
* Placing pressure on suppliers to provide eco friendly packaging options
* Reusable containers used for food storage
* 100% compostable coffee cups and lids used at Jeffersons
* Use of eco friendly cleaning products and reusable cleaning materials
* Provision of recyclable and comingle bins
* Bottle crusher used for non ‘container scheme’ glass and sent to recycler
* Coffee cardboard boxes returned to coffee supplier for reuse
* Upcycled glass jars used to hold pencils for for kids colouring activities
* Upcycling old cutlery holders to the community (used as plant holders, remote control holders, salt and pepper shaker holders etc)
* Repair broken items where possible
* Reuse scrap paper within the office
* Partner with not-for-profit environmental groups to run environmental fun and educational activities for kids.
* Formed a partnership with Palm Beach Currumbin High School sustainability team
* Provide Southern Beaches Community Gardens with green and brown waste for compost where possible.
* Sponsor charity events at the Club for environmental groups such as Surfrider Foundation and ROLE Foundation.
* Host beach clean up with Gecko (green week) and Sea Shepherd
* Partnership with Scouts Australia ‘containers for cash’ program
* Distribution of excess food to Oz Harvest where possible
* Fundraising initiatives with local rural fire brigades, QLD Country Women’s Association, Buy a Bale, WIRES.
* Ocean Breeze preference over air conditioning in 80% of venue
* All lights energy efficient LED lighting
* Currently investigating Solar options via a grant process
* Fully compostable coasters (printed via sustainable practices and eco ink)
* Compostable serviettes